What are Breathing Styles?
Breathing Styles are swordsmanship styles that employ an esoteric breathing technique known as Total Concentration Breathing, which is performed and taught by Demon Slayer Corps members in Kimetsu no Yaiba and is employed in combat by Demon Slayers.
Sun Breathing, the first ever produced, is the source of all fourteen Breathing Styles now taught inside the Demon Slayer Corps.
The majority of the fourteen Breathing Styles imitate a certain element of nature (for example, flame, water, or wind) and recreate it with the user’s motions, methods, and skills.
New Breathing Styles are constantly being developed to meet the fighting demands of Demon Slayers, resulting in new weaponry being used in demon hunting. Such Breathing Styles represent a broader range of themes, such as plants, emotions, and animals (i.e. love, flowers, and insect).
If the user is unable to fully master a single Breathing Style, they can combine Breathing Styles to make use of each style’s strengths.
Tanjiro Kamado, realizing he could not master Water Breathing like Giyu Tomioka nor could he handle the strain of Hinokami Kagura on his own, demonstrated that he could combine the two techniques to have stronger strikes than when he used Water Breathing alone and move for longer periods of time than if he used Hinokami Kagura on his own.
What is Total Concentration Breathing?
This is a sophisticated and esoteric breathing method in which a person inhales the greatest quantity of oxygen within a precise breath pattern in order to push their physical and mental ability to new heights. A variety of improved physical and mental talents, such as superhuman physical attributes (i.e. strength, speed, stamina, durability, and agility), quicker cognitive processes, maximum attention, and hyper-information processing, are among the results. Total Concentration can also coagulate wounds from severe injuries and limit the circulation of toxins in the bloodstream at a higher level.
How many breathing styles are known?
There is no set limit to the number of Breathing Styles in Demon Slayer; new ones are continuously being added.
Nonetheless, 14 distinct breathing techniques employed by Demon Slayers have been disclosed during the course of the series.
All Known Breathing Styles and Forms
Insect Breathing is a Breathing Style that simulates the movements, tactics, and powers of insects, notably their devastating stings and movements. Stabbing, thrusting, and creating small cuts with a specially coated/made sword to create several wounds on the desired victim in order to introduce different fatal Wisteria-based poisons into them are common techniques and styles.
Shinobu Kocho developed her Insect Breathing Style so that she wouldn’t have to rely on brute force to kill a demon. Therefore, she is the only one who can use this sword technique, and she does it with a special katana that has a needle-like point, much like an insect’s stinger. For use on demons, the “stinger” is equipped to inject them with Wisteria poison.
Shinobu Kocho, the Insect Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, is the only person known to employ Insect Breathing as the creator of the Insect Breathing Techniques.
- Butterfly Dance: Caprice – The user makes a flying sword charge at their foe, and stings them several times with the poisoned blade.
- Dance of the Bee Sting: True Flutter – The user sprints at their target at blinding speeds and harnesses the momentum of their speed to then enhance a single thrust into their opponent and inject poison into them.
- Dance of the Dragonfly: Compound Eye Hexagon – A six-pronged assault designed to inject a lethal dosage of poison into the target’s vulnerable areas (neck, heart, torso, etc.) and ultimately kill them.
- Dance of the Centipede: Hundred-Legged Zigzag – An attack in which the user sprints in a zigzag pattern, confusing their opponent, to create a window through which they may stab their neck and inject poison, the force and strength of the stab being amplified by the momentum of their speed.
Flower Breathing is a Breathing Style derived from Water Breathing.
Flower Breathing is a Breathing Style that resembles the movements, techniques, and capacities of flowers and fruits. The majority, if not all, of the known techniques and forms, is a combination of elegant assaults with an emphasis on agility.
This Breathing Style also improves and utilizes one’s vision, however at the expense of one’s eyesight. When using Flower Breathing methods, users envision themselves seemingly producing and manipulating flowers.
- Kanae Kocho – Demon Slayer and the late Flower Hashira Kanae Kocho have passed away. Also, she is the older sibling of both Kanao Tsuyuri who was adopted, and Shinobu Kocho the biological sister.
- Kanao Tsuyuri – In Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kanao Tsuyuri plays a pivotal supporting role. Ever since the passing of Flower Hashira Kanae Kocho, she has been the most powerful practitioner of the Flower Breathing method.
- Second Form: Honorable Shadow Plum – The user spins their sword and slashes it multiple times to dodge blows.
- Fourth Form: Crimson Hanagoromo – The user swings their sword once, delivering an elegantly curved and twisted slash.
- Fifth Form: Peonies of Futility – The user launches nine intertwining assaults in rapid succession.
- Sixth Form: Whirling Peach – After or while evading, the user spins around while using their body weight to perform an attack.
- Final Form: Equinoctial Vermilion Eye – A method of concentration that allows the person to see the world in slow motion by increasing their kinetic vision to its full potential.
Serpent Breathing is a Breathing Style that is also derived from Water Breathing.
The slithering motions of serpents and snakes are the inspiration for the Serpent Breathing Style, which seeks to reproduce those same qualities in the practitioner via their own actions, strategies, and skills.
The majority of, if not all, sword styles include twisting and bending the weapon like a serpent, with assaults that are never straight and continually meander and, as a result, may hit anywhere.
Only Obanai Iguro is known to employ this method, and the twisted blade required for it resembles an Indonesian Kris Sword but is instead fashioned after a snake’s body for some reason.
- First Form: Winding Serpent Slash – The user slithers forward like a snake and lets forth a flurry of cuts in a spiraling motion.
- Second Form: Venom Fangs of the Narrow Head – The user does a lightning-fast backpedal behind their foe and intends to decapitate them with a single, rapid slash.
- Third Form: Coil Choke – In this technique, the user spins around their foe while slashing at them from all angles.
- Fourth Form: Twin-Headed Reptile – The user lunges forward and slashes horizontally, effectively severing the victim in two.
- Fifth Form: Slithering Serpent – By slicing at an opponent from several angles, the player may effectively decapitate multiple foes with a single swing of the sword.
Love Breathing is a Breathing Style derived from Flame Breathing.
The Breathing Style known as “Love Breathing” is inspired by the feeling of love. The vast majority of established methods involve a series of whip-like assaults that vary from mid- to long-range and depend on the practitioner’s inherent pliability, dexterity, agility, and speed.
It makes use of her exceptional muscular density, which gives her superhuman strength without making her cumbersome, to strike with lightning speed and devastating force while maintaining remarkable dexterity and agility. This is a unique technique that can only be performed by her due to the unique make-up of her body.
As developed by Mitsuri Kanroji herself, she is the only known user of Love breathing techniques. She could do so because of her gifted body’s unique muscular density.
- First Form: Shivers of First Love – The user charges forward while slashing at the target with an extended whip.
- Second Form: Love Pangs – The wielder unleashes a series of whip cuts that encircle them with devastating force.
- Third Form: Catlove Shower – The user jumps into the air and launches a barrage of arced, ranged strikes.
- Fifth Form: Swaying Love, Wildclaw – The user does a backflip in midair to unleash a series of whip-like blows.
- Sixth Form: Cat-Legged Winds of Love – The user spins in an inverted position and performs a series of slicing assaults, each one extending and then retracting the weapon.
Sound Breathing is a Breathing Style derived from Thunder Breathing.
An individual practicing the Breathing Style known as “Sound Breathing” will utilize their body and mind to imitate the disorienting effects of sound.
Most, if not all, of the existing methods and styles, rely on explosives to do large quantities of harm and employ lightning-fast motions, mirroring the speed at which sound travels and the speed at which the practitioner can perceive it.
Musical Score is a method devised by Tengen Uzui, who utilizes his enhanced hearing to interpret the rhythm of his opponent’s movements and convert them into sound.
Tengen Uzui is the only known practitioner of this technique since this combat style was created by him. It requires a special pair of weapons: the Nichirin Cleavers, which seem like enormous nunchucks but have notches in the blades and are connected at the hilt by a metal chain.
- First Form: Roar – An audible boom like thunder is produced when the user raises his dual swords above his head and crashes them down with immense power while simultaneously making an explosion with his explosives to cause massive physical damage.
- Fourth Form: Constant Resounding Slashes – The user stands guard while making large explosions by holding their swords apart and spinning them swiftly in tandem with discharging his explosives.
- Fifth Form: String Performance – The user rotates the blade attached to the chain by holding one in a backward grip. Moreover, they set off numerous explosives, which explode with devastating force, further increasing the severity of the situation.
Breathing styles known as “Beast Breathing” may be traced back to “Wind Breathing,” but only very loosely.
One of the most quirky Breathing Styles known as “Beast Breathing” is based on the idea of emulating the behavior of beasts and other wild creatures. This includes imitating their unpredictable, violent, and wild character in terms of their attacks, as well as their senses and other motor skills.
Although one technique uses the potent sense of touch to recreate an animal’s primitive senses, the vast majority of documented techniques and forms of Beast Breathing are straightforward yet wild, unpredictable, and animalistic motions and assaults.
Given that Inosuke Hashibira developed and taught himself this Breathing Style during his time spent in the mountains, it stands to reason that only someone with two Nichirin katanas and a highly developed sense of touch would be capable of using it effectively.
- First Fang: Pierce – A double stab to the neck is executed by the user.
- Second Fang: Slice – The user swings both blades at once in an X pattern.
- Third Fang: Devour – The user decapitates the enemy by releasing a series of horizontal slashes towards the neck.
- Fourth Fang: Slice ‘n’ Dice – As many double diagonal slashes as possible are delivered by the user using both swords.
- Fifth Fang: Crazy Cutting – Using only their body weight, the user may slash in all directions while in the air.
- Sixth Fang: Palisade Bite – The user performs a saw-like motion with two swords, releasing slashes in opposite directions at the same time.
- Seventh Form: Spatial Awareness – The user can discern the location of adversaries and their vulnerabilities by feeling for subtle changes in the air.
- Eighth Form: Explosive Rush – The user rushes forward at light speed, slashing wildly with both swords.
- Ninth Fang: Extending Bendy Slash – The user extends their reach by dislocating their arm’s joints, and then swings their arm forward at high speed.
- Tenth Fang: Whirling Fangs – Attacks, such as projectiles, can be deflected by the user fast spinning their swords in a circle.
- Sudden Throwing Strike – The user spins around and launches both blades at once towards an adversary.
Mist Breathing is a Breathing Style derived from Wind Breathing.
The goal of the Breathing Style known as Mist Breathing is to make the practitioner appear as if they are moving through the air invisibly, using the same strategies and skills that mist itself would employ.
Nearly every known style of Mist Breathing relies on a series of quick attacks and moves executed in a certain sequence to confuse and disorient the enemy as if the battlefield were shrouded in fog.
Muichiro Tokito, the lone practitioner of Mist Breathing, hides his identity and movements by dressing in loose, baggy attire that conceals his arms and legs in order to fully maximize the potential of this Breathing Style.
The current Mist Hashira, Muichiro Tokito, uses the seventh type of Mist Breathing that was never taught to anyone else.
- First Form: Low Clouds, Distant Haze – The user launches an enormous surge in front of them.
- Second Form: Eight-Layered Mist – The user then releases eight successive forward slashes.
- Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash – The user spins around and unleashes a slashing circular blade in front of them, which may be utilized to deflect or even destroy incoming missiles.
- Fourth Form: Shifting Flow Slash – The user unsheathes their sword and sprints towards their foe at breakneck speed, slashing at them from underneath.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Haze – The user charges forward at fast speed, slashing in all directions to cover ground quickly and conceal their own motions.
- Sixth Form: Lunar Dispersing Mist – The user flips back into the air while upside down and unleashes a barrage of slashing attacks from a distance, killing scores of foes at once.
- Seventh Form: Obscuring Clouds – Originating in Muichiro Tokito’s imagination. The user’s pace suddenly changes, giving off the impression that mist is surrounding a large area and confusing their opponent.
Among the five Breathing Styles that stem directly from Sun Breathing, Wind Breathing is one of the most well-known.
Wind Breathing is a type of breathing technique in which the practitioner attempts to imitate the effects of wind, notably strong gusts of air and whirlwinds, in their own actions, methods, and skills.
Most, if not all, of the known techniques and forms of Wind Breathing, are purely offensive in nature, with the majority of them involving rotating movements to generate swift whirlwind-like slashes that greatly increase the wielder’s striking range, or utilizing the surrounding air to deliver sharp sickle-shaped attacks.
One of Yoriichi Tsugikuni‘s students who tried to learn Sun Breathing but was not as naturally powerful as Yoriichi instead developed what would become Wind Breathing by being taught a customized version of the technique that catered to their particular set of strengths and shortcomings.
- Sanemi Shinazugawa – Sanemi is one of the strongest Hashira of Demon Slayer Corps in Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is the current wind pillar among the Hashiras.
- Masachika Kumeno – Masachika was closely acquainted with the current Wind Hashira Sanemi Shinazugawa.
- First Form: Dust Whirlwind Cutter – The user runs ahead at dizzying speeds and cuts continually in a horizontal cyclone pattern.
- Second Form: Claws-Purifying Wind – The user pulls the sword upwards towards the right, over their head, and delivers four vertical slashes at once down on the adversary-like claws.
- Third Form: Clean Storm Wind Tree – The user releases a tornado of slashes around their body that can guard them against oncoming strikes and slice apart their surroundings.
- Fourth Form: Rising Dust Storm – The user launches many slashes above them from underneath their target.
- Fifth Form: Cold Mountain Wind – The user generates multiple circular arching slashes that rise in size from above their target.
- Sixth Form: Black Wind Mountain Mist – The user turns their body in an uppercut action, generating an arcing slash.
- Seventh Form: Gale, Sudden Gusts – The user leaps into the air while swinging their sword which creates gale-force winds to rip their opponent apart.
- Eighth Form: Primary Gale Slash – The user leaps into the air and swings their sword which produces circular torrents of wind that cuts into the opponent quickly.
- Ninth Form: Idaten Typhoon – The user backflips into the air and while upside-down, releases a tremendous rush of circular wind that cuts away everything below.
One of the five primary Breathing Techniques that is derived from Sun Breathing is Water Breathing.
Water Breathing is a Breathing Style that duplicates the flow, suppleness, and adaptability of water with the user’s motions, methods, and talents.
The user bends their body, arm, and weapon in a fluid manner to imitate the movements of rushing or flowing water in most, if not all, known methods.
One of Yoriichi Tsugikuni‘s pupils who wanted to study Sun Breathing invented the Water Breathing Style.
It is claimed to be the easiest Breathing Style among Demon Slayers since it is the easiest for novices to master.
- Sakonji Urokodaki (Cultivator) – Sakonji Urokodaki is a retired member of the Demon Slayer Corps, having held the role of the previous Water Hashira.
- Giyu Tomioka – Giyu Tomioka is the current Water Hashira and a Demon Slayer in the Demon Slayer Corps.
- Murata – Murata is a supporting character in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and a member of the Demon Slayer Corps.
- Sabito – Sabito was a former apprentice of Sakonji Urokodaki.
- Makomo – When Makomo was younger, he trained under the tutelage of Sakonji Urokodaki.
- Tanjiro Kamado – Tanjiro Kamado is the protagonist of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.
- Aoi Kanzaki – Aoi Kanzaki is a supporting character in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and a Demon Slayer of the Demon Slayer Corps and she works as an assistant at the Butterfly Mansion.
- First Form: Water Surface Slash – The user builds up sufficient force to execute a potent single-focused slash.
- Second Form: Water Wheel – The user springs forward vertically in the air and unleashes a round, flowing assault.
- Third Form: Flowing Dance – The user moves in a fluid rhythm while swinging and bending their sword in unison with their body, slashing anything in its path.
- Fourth Form: Striking Tide – The user delivers many blows simultaneously by cutting repeatedly and flowingly with both their body and their blade.
- Fifth Form: Blessed Rain After the Drought – The user alters the hold on their sword and executes a single, fluid stroke that results in little to no pain before decapitating the adversary.
- Sixth Form: Whirlpool – A vortex of air is created when the user violently spins their upper and lower bodies, cutting everything caught in it.
- Seventh Form: Drop Ripple Thrust – A quick and precise thrust from the user might lessen the effect of a moving target.
- Eighth Form: Waterfall Basin – The target is chopped vertically by the user in a flowing manner, which is most effective while the user is falling.
- Ninth Form: Splashing Water Flow, Turbulent – The user adjusts their footwork to reduce the amount of surface and time needed to land, enabling unrestricted movement.
- Tenth Form: Constant Flux – The strike is continuous and flowing, appearing to be a water dragon that gains strength and power with each turn thanks to momentum.
- Eleventh Form: Dead Calm – The original design by Giyu Tomioka, the current Water Hashira. The user reaches a state of total serenity, stops moving, and uses their sword to imperceptibly block, deflect, and slash all oncoming assaults.
Among the five primary Breathing Styles, Thunder Breathing is one that evolved from Sun Breathing.
The lightning-inspired motions, techniques, and powers of the Thunder Breathing style are meant to evoke the sensation of a bolt of lightning striking the ground or slicing through the sky.
Nearly every style and method rely on overwhelming the opponent with lightning-fast movements and strikes.
Users may also make sounds as loud as thunder with only their footfall, and they can make the air tremble when they are ready to unleash a Thunder Breathing technique.
- Jigoro Kuwajima (Cultivator) – Zenitsu Agatsuma and Kaigaku were both taught Thunder Breathing by Jigoro Kuwajima. The Thunder Hashira once ruled over him.
- Kaigaku – In the Infinity Castle Arc of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kaigaku plays a minor antagonistic role.
- Zenitsu Agatsuma – Along with Inosuke Hashibira, Zenitsu Agatsuma is a major character in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and accompanies Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado on their journey.
- First Form: Thunderclap and Flash – The user unsheathes their katana, sprints forward at breakneck speed, and decapitates their opponent before they can react, before sheathing it again.
- Second Form: Rice Spirit – In fast succession, the user unleashes five arching slashes followed by lightning.
- Third Form: Thunder Swarm – The user surrounds the adversary with arching lightning and hits them from all sides.
- Fourth Form: Distant Thunder – The user creates a ball of energy that sends forth waves of powerful multi-directional lightning bolts.
- Fifth Form: Heat Lightning – A long-ranged upward sword slash followed by lightning is unleashed by the user.
- Sixth Form: Rumble and Flash – A succession of devastating long-ranged lightning assaults are launched by the user, striking his opponent from afar.
- Seventh Form: Honoikazuchi no Kami – Zenitsu Agatsuma’s own invention. The user runs forward at breakneck speed, unleashing a single forward slash from a low stance, accompanied by a yellow Japanese dragon shaped like a lightning bolt.
Stone Breathing is one of the five primary Sun Breathing Styles.
Stone Breathing simulates earth and stone with the user’s actions, methods, and skills.
Most, if not all, known techniques and forms utilize the user’s environment to develop effective offensive and defensive strikes.
The Breathing Style was created by one of Yoriichi Tsugikuni‘s students who tried to learn Sun Breathing but couldn’t master it. Instead, they were taught a personalized Breathing Style that focused on their strengths and weaknesses, which eventually became Stone Breathing.
Assuming that the Gyomei Himejima can only employ a flail and/or axe, hence being the only known user of Stone Breathing it is assumed to be limited to those two weapons.
- First Form: Serpentinite Bipolar – The wielder tosses both the flail and axe in the direction of his target, and then manipulates the chain such that the axe and flail revolve as well, drilling and grinding through his opponent.
- Second Form: Upper Smash – As part of a pincer attack, the user tosses both his axe and his spiked flail, causing the flail to ricochet and crush his victim from a distance.
- Third Form: Stone Skin – The user swings his axe wildly, deflecting any incoming blows.
- Fourth Form: Volcanic Rock, Rapid Conquest – The user swings the chain from both ends, manipulating the flail and axe weapons at each end, to deliver a two-pronged, long-range attack.
- Fifth Form: Arcs of Justice – With his flail and axe, the user unleashes a devastating onslaught.
As one of the five primary Breathing Styles evolved from Sun Breathing, Flame Breathing is a powerful and effective way to breathe underwater.
The practitioner of the Breathing Style known as “Flame Breathing” makes their own motions, tactics, and talents resemble those of a flame.
Almost all of the well-known styles and methods in Flame Breathing start assaults from a high stance and include incredibly forceful, single strikes that “burn” their opponents.
- Shinjuro Rengoku – Shinjuro Rengoku is a former Flame Hashira married to Ruka Rengoku and the father of Kyojuro Rengoku and Senjuro Rengoku.
- Kyojuro Rengoku – Rengoku Kyojuro, a descendant of Flame Hashira, is a Demon Slayer for the Demon Slayer Corps.
- Mitsuri Kanroji (Formerly) – Mitsuri Kanroji is the Love Hashira of Demon Slayer Corps but she started her journey with Flame Breathing.
- First Form: Unknowing Fire – The user charges at their victim at fast speeds and releases a solitary slash that tries to decapitate them.
- Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun – The sword swings up and out from the user’s hand.
- Third Form: Blazing Universe – The blade is swung downwards in an arc by the user.
- Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation – The user defends themselves by swinging their sword in a circling motion, which can hit numerous targets at once.
- Fifth Form: Flame Tiger – The user executes a sequence of tremendous sword slashes that seemingly assumes the appearance of a blazing tiger.
- Ninth Form: Rengoku – The pinnacle of flame breathing strength. The swordsman raises his or her blade high and charges forward at breakneck speed.
Moon Breathing is an adaptation of Sun Breathing. It is derived from the most potent breathing techniques, including Sun Breathing, from whence it gets its name.
There is a breathing style called “Moon Breathing” in which the practitioner attempts to imitate the moon’s motions, methods, and powers.
The vast majority of swordsmanship forms and methods of Moon Breathing are variations on basic swordsmanship that emphasizes quick, forceful blows in the shape of a crescent moon.
Upper Rank One, Kokushibo, who was one of the first Demon Slayers to employ Total Concentration Breathing, is the only one who uses Moon Breathing Style.
- First Form: Dark Moon, Evening Palace – Kokushibo immediately pulls his sword and slashes it in a single horizontal motion in the shape of a crescent, generating a swarm of chaotic crescent blades.
- Second Form: Pearl Flower Moongazing – Kokushibo delivers many crescent-shaped slashes, launching a barrage of crescent blades to defend himself from incoming strikes.
- Third Form: Loathsome Moon, Chains – Kokushibo swings his sword quickly in two massive crescent slashes, generating a storm of tiny crescents to spread and cause massive devastation in a short area.
- Fifth Form: Moon Spirit Calamitous Eddy – Kokushibo creates a rising vortex of sword slashes and crescent moon blades by layering many curving strokes over one another.
- Sixth Form: Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon – Incessant – Several meters in front of him, Kokushibo unleashes a barrage of crescent-shaped cuts.
- Seventh Form: Mirror of Misfortune, Moonlit – Kokushibo swings his massive sword in a forceful frontal crescent-shaped slash, creating devastating multi-directional long-ranged cuts in the earth.
- Eighth Form: Moon-Dragon Ringtail – Kokushibo wields his massive sword to generate a single massive crescent-shaped cut that gradually shrinks in size, resulting in hundreds of crescent moon blades.
- Ninth Form: Waning Moonswaths – With the giant version of his sword, Kokushibo generates a torrent of long-ranged crescent-shaped vertical and horizontal slashes, as well as countless crescent moon blades.
- Tenth Form: Drilling Slashes, Moon Through Bamboo Leaves – With his massive sword, Kokushibo generates a long-ranged triple-layered slash twister full of crescent moon blades.
- Fourteenth Form: Catastrophe, Tenman Crescent Moon – Kokushibo wields his massive sword to generate a chaotic vortex of strong super long-ranged Omni-directional slashes that kills anything caught inside its strike radius.
- Sixteenth Form: Moonbow, Half Moon – Kokushibo unleashes a flurry of downward crescent slashes from an incredibly long and wide range, culminating in a devastating six-fold slash on his opponents.
The Kamado family kept a secret breathing style called Hinokami Kagura until it was proven to be the original breathing style—Sun Breathing.
Along with the Hanafuda earrings, the Hinokami Kagura is a Breathing Style that has been passed down from father to son for generations. The Breathing Style is a part of an annual ceremony performed by the Kamado family.
Later, Shinjuro Rengoku reveals that the Hinokami Kagura is actually Sun Breathing, the earliest and most venerable of the Breathing Styles.
The originator of Sun Breathing, Yoriichi Tsugikuni, advised his students to make little adjustments to the technique so that it would work for them. This is the origin of all other breathing techniques.
Sun Breathing is the most powerful breathing style followed by Moon Breathing.
- Yoriichi Tsugikuni – Yoriichi Tsugikuni is a legendary Demon Slayer who lived about 500 years ago during the Sengoku Era and is the most powerful Demon Slayer ever. He is also the creator of Breathing Styles, having established the first ever Breathing Style, which later became the Hinokami Kagura utilized by Tanjiro Kamado and other members of the Kamado Family.
- Sumiyoshi – Sumiyoshi is a Kamado Family ancestor and a good friend of Yoriichi Tsugikuni.
- Tanjuro Kamado – Tanjuro Kamado was married to Kie Kamado, and he was the father of their children Tanjiro, Nezuko, Takeo, Hanako, Shigeru, and Rokuta.
- Tanjiro Kamado – As we all know that the main character of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a young man named Tanjiro Kamado.
- Dance – A single powerful vertical slash is unleashed by the user.
- Clear Blue Sky – To perform a full 360° slash, the person twists their entire body horizontally.
- Raging Sun – The user strikes out with two horizontal slashes, either to attack or protect.
- Burning Bones, Summer Sun – The user launches a massive circle slash to ward off any oncoming frontal assaults.
- Setting Sun Transformation – The user does a backflip into the air before slashing their opponent with an upended sword, hoping to cut off their head.
- Solar Heat Haze – The user rushes in and slashes horizontally at the target, but the blow seems like it doesn’t fall in the mist and really connects with the target.
- Beneficent Radiance – The user dives forward and slashes the air around the foe with devastating force.
- Sunflower Thrust – The user unleashes a single, powerful thrust with the blade’s tip.
- Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance – With this technique, the practitioner unleashes a barrage of quick, strong sword strikes that take the appearance of a Japanese dragon composed of sun flames.
- Fire Wheel – The user launches into the air behind their foe, turns in midair, and then swings their sword downward in a sweeping arc.
- Fake Rainbow – The user executes rapid spins and twists to create afterimages, which are then employed to avoid harm.
- Flame Dance – A two-part blow that consists of a vertical slash followed by a horizontal one.
- Thirteenth Form – To improve precision and dexterity in movement while decreasing tiredness, the user repeatedly cycles through all twelve Sun Breathing techniques.
Because Muzan Kibutsuji has twelve essential organs (seven hearts and five brains) that are free to travel inside his body, this form was designed expressly for the goal of killing him through the repetition of all twelve forms.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 5 main breathing styles?
The five main Breathing styles in Kimetsu no yaiba: Demon Slayer are –
- Flame breathing
- Wind breathing
- Water breathing
- Thunder breathing
- Stone breathing
Which breathing style is the strongest?
Sun Breathing being the first breathing style is the strongest breathing style created by Yoriichi Tsugikuni and is the inspiration for all other breathing styles.
Does Tanjiro have Sun breathing?
Tanjiro started his demon slaying journey with Water breathing but as he moves forward and faced more powerful enemies and he felt the need for more power.
By remembering the Hinokami Kagura i.e, the Sun dance, he was able to perform the same dance, and hence gradually he learned Sun Breathing.
So Yes Tanjiro has Sun Breathing.
What is moon breathing?
Apart from all the Five Main Breathing Techniques, Moon Breathing is also branched out of Sun Breathing. Kokushibo, Upper-Rank One, is the only one who can use this breathing technique. As moon breathing was born trying to replicate sun breathing so it’s second to sun breathing in strength. Many techniques of moon breathing can not even be replicated by any other due to their uniqueness to the Kokushibo fighting style.
Image License: Please contact for any removal/credit on pictures.